What is the point of Rhines

You can talk about anything here.
scifiguy7
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: scifiguy7

Is there something that can be made to be uniquely useful outside of the established diamond trade that everyone has come to expect and doesn't have to compete with diamonds toe-to-toe? Depending on how that is setup it could become an attractive alternative to trading only diamonds, if the reward for using them was greater.

I suppose Rhines are that intended alternative, they just haven't found a proper niche, yet.

It might also be helpful if there was a way to trade in diamonds or rhines (or whatever) on a single sign in the marketplace since space is at such a premium in any shop (especially the cart shops in front) but I'm sure that is an overreach.
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: The_One_Soldier

Are there any plans to do anything regarding rhines, elytra, and/or market in the first place? It feels like this forum topic is talking to a metaphorical brick wall.
:) Ruin
iron621
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: iron62

Also any update on the custom recipes Tiberaus was working on?
“I just want to lie on the beach and eat hot dogs. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.” – Kevin Malone
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

Did we not announce that? I've added the recipes to the Info Center.

Gilded Blackstone, and fire, tube and horn coral blocks.
TheHypnon
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: TheHypnon

I think the main issue with rhines as a currency on this server is the fact that they have no inherent value or have an inherent use, combined with the fact that they are hard to obtain.

Elytra

To get the simpler part out of the way first: I dont think getting an elytra fast is too important or a "right" for every new player. If you want an elytra you can trade one for dias to other players directly or in the market, on top of that you can vote to get one(in case you want no sense of accomplishment) or go endbusting(hah good joke).
The price of 200k rhines per elytra is steep, but that's in fact the only fixed value rhines have in the first place.

Player Trade

The more prominent use of rhines is to trade with other players. And while i agree with daphlipan that rhines allow players to buy and sell items, and services, in varying quantities as opposed to the trade with dias, I feel like the problem lies with the rhines themselves or rather with the way to obtain rhines.

With the removal of the admin shops and most trades to the server this season, with the intend to incentivise player trades came the problem of the different starting positions on the server. Players with stockpiles of rhines from earlier seasons with different trade systems and economies have different monetary means on top of a bigger stockpile of resources. Thus they have fewer needs to buy items/services from other players as well as fewer needs to sell items/services to get rhines.

And it creates even bigger problems if the majority of rhines are owned by players in the first place. The wealthy players, which mostly come from earlier seasons, fall under one of two categories: 1. the players with lower current active time, which thus do not participate in the server economy or are even completely absent and 2. the active players that play regularly and gather resources themselves thus not even needing to spend rhines.
And while i do not want to advocate for a full reset or a equal distribution of property I also dont want the current situations with rhines as a currency to continue further.

The items that can be sold currently are items like stone/netherrack that exist in large quantities and, while not hard to obtain, are mind-numbingly boring to obtain in large quantities, items like enderpearls/cod that I presume only exist to clean out endermen and guardian farms without producing lag and items like leather/chorus fruit which are hard to obtain as you cant farm leather efficiently because of the server entity caps and measures of lag prevention and chorus flowers which are pure rng. On top of that Endrods need a blaze farm to obtain which poses its own problems on the servers nether and the issue with claimblocks/griefing while wheatfarms are either slow or laggy.

As the means to obtain rhines are just short of unusable this poses the problem that rhines as a currency are not as attractive as dias since stripmining in the resource world will give a way faster and way safer profit in a shorter amount of time and can still be used as a currency. On top of that, no player will willingly farm rhines through tedious and boring means if getting the items you want to buy is faster through regular ways that through rhines.

I would propose to either bring back the ability to buy/sell dias to the server or reinstate the emerald trade as being able to profit from emeralds would mean to build an efficient(and lag free) farm, a villager breeder, a villager trading hall and still invest the time to convert items into emeralds to then sell to the server.
In the first place minecraft is a game about building and creating so is it not rather ironic that currently the best way to acquire currency is to mine huge holes into the world as opposed to build farms and constructions that can showcase your skills? I still remember when the timber plugin was implemented to remove the issue of floating trees just to now be told to dig out huge chunks to sell the blocks for miniscule profit.

Tl:dr we need a reliable way to get rhines and a way to spend rhines that don’t depend on other players and ideally mesh well with the philosophy of minecraft.
Slaepy
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: SleepyAppa

TheHypnon wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:07
I think the main issue with rhines as a currency on this server is the fact that they have no inherent value or have an inherent use, combined with the fact that they are hard to obtain.

Elytra

To get the simpler part out of the way first: I dont think getting an elytra fast is too important or a "right" for every new player. If you want an elytra you can trade one for dias to other players directly or in the market, on top of that you can vote to get one(in case you want no sense of accomplishment) or go endbusting(hah good joke).
The price of 200k rhines per elytra is steep, but that's in fact the only fixed value rhines have in the first place.

Player Trade

The more prominent use of rhines is to trade with other players. And while i agree with daphlipan that rhines allow players to buy and sell items, and services, in varying quantities as opposed to the trade with dias, I feel like the problem lies with the rhines themselves or rather with the way to obtain rhines.

With the removal of the admin shops and most trades to the server this season, with the intend to incentivise player trades came the problem of the different starting positions on the server. Players with stockpiles of rhines from earlier seasons with different trade systems and economies have different monetary means on top of a bigger stockpile of resources. Thus they have fewer needs to buy items/services from other players as well as fewer needs to sell items/services to get rhines.

And it creates even bigger problems if the majority of rhines are owned by players in the first place. The wealthy players, which mostly come from earlier seasons, fall under one of two categories: 1. the players with lower current active time, which thus do not participate in the server economy or are even completely absent and 2. the active players that play regularly and gather resources themselves thus not even needing to spend rhines.
And while i do not want to advocate for a full reset or a equal distribution of property I also dont want the current situations with rhines as a currency to continue further.

The items that can be sold currently are items like stone/netherrack that exist in large quantities and, while not hard to obtain, are mind-numbingly boring to obtain in large quantities, items like enderpearls/cod that I presume only exist to clean out endermen and guardian farms without producing lag and items like leather/chorus fruit which are hard to obtain as you cant farm leather efficiently because of the server entity caps and measures of lag prevention and chorus flowers which are pure rng. On top of that Endrods need a blaze farm to obtain which poses its own problems on the servers nether and the issue with claimblocks/griefing while wheatfarms are either slow or laggy.

As the means to obtain rhines are just short of unusable this poses the problem that rhines as a currency are not as attractive as dias since stripmining in the resource world will give a way faster and way safer profit in a shorter amount of time and can still be used as a currency. On top of that, no player will willingly farm rhines through tedious and boring means if getting the items you want to buy is faster through regular ways that through rhines.

I would propose to either bring back the ability to buy/sell dias to the server or reinstate the emerald trade as being able to profit from emeralds would mean to build an efficient(and lag free) farm, a villager breeder, a villager trading hall and still invest the time to convert items into emeralds to then sell to the server.
In the first place minecraft is a game about building and creating so is it not rather ironic that currently the best way to acquire currency is to mine huge holes into the world as opposed to build farms and constructions that can showcase your skills? I still remember when the timber plugin was implemented to remove the issue of floating trees just to now be told to dig out huge chunks to sell the blocks for miniscule profit.

Tl:dr we need a reliable way to get rhines and a way to spend rhines that don’t depend on other players and ideally mesh well with the philosophy of minecraft.
Agreed. Rhines need a better use, or at least a better way to get them. Currently Rhines are only very occasionally used for small deals, or to trade for diamonds. Rhines need to be worth something, or just remove them
iron621
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: iron62

Cobbett wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:26
Did we not announce that? I've added the recipes to the Info Center.

Gilded Blackstone, and fire, tube and horn coral blocks.
My bad. I haven't read all of the forums so I probably did not notice that.

Thank You
“I just want to lie on the beach and eat hot dogs. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.” – Kevin Malone
Wixler_17
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Wixler_17

As I and some others have said before, emeralds would be a great way to acquire Rhines, if added properly. Villager trading stations (at a large scale) is quite a late game thing. New player won't be able to get thousands upon thousands of emeralds do get an elytra. Plus, there are few ways to get infinite emeralds, and villagers need time to restock and the presence of the inflation effect, which in result removes the infinite money aspect of it. If emeralds were to be added to the /sell list, they do need to be rather low. I'd say if a diamond, to my knowledge, is worth 1k, a stack of emeralds should have equal value, which is about 16$ a pop. With incentive for villager interaction, this also adds things to sell in market (aside from the abundant amount of enchanting books).

I do greatly appreciate that the server added the choral types to the crafting list, as to my knowledge, the resource world doesn't have a single choral reef, and I feared overworld collection would cause trouble.

Cheers
I went to bed and looked at the stars

and then I thought...

Where is my ceiling?
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

Ah, the resource world actually has coral (the resource world always does) but I set the border incorrectly and didn't notice. Oops. I've added a special portal.
Slaepy
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: SleepyAppa

Cobbett wrote:
05 May 2021, 05:10
Ah, the resource world actually has coral (the resource world always does) but I set the border incorrectly and didn't notice. Oops. I've added a special portal.
k