What is the point of Rhines

You can talk about anything here.
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: The_One_Soldier

Maybe decreasing the prices of elytra in the admin shops could help, maybe to around 40-60k would work. Might not be a good long term solution though.
Or more items could be sold and all items' sell value to the server could be increased by 2-6x
Inflation probably going to happen regardless of server item prices, as seen by the price of netherite, used to be 20k per ingot and now can go for 30K+
:) Ruin
crankydetective
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Crankydetective

we just gotta wait for a reset
Corona is the next step in Darwins theory of evolution
Wixler_17
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Wixler_17

I feel like they have a high price to encourage players that sell elytras can still make a profit selling them below server price. 40k is rather low, i'd say minimum 75k
I went to bed and looked at the stars

and then I thought...

Where is my ceiling?
daphlipan
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: daphlipan

I'll tell you what rhines are good for:

- Rhines make trading / selling / buying so much more precise. You can now sell items for half a diamond - yeah even 0.3791 of a diamond if that's your pricing strategy.
- As already mentioned rhines are good when you are mining and dont want to carry around all that stone or dirt with you - so you get a little something back form the server for not lagging it out.
- Rhines and especially /balancetop ... provides some sort of transparency. It may not be very representive but people with good amount of wealth can at least not pretend being poor.

Addition to the elytra debate:

I don't really get why everyone is talking about mining netherrack in order to get yourself an elytra. Elytra is endgame stuff and should not be achieved too easily by new players - i totally agree on that. But on the other hand - as soon as you have got yourself a couple diamonds you turn them into a fortune 3 pickaxe and you go mad in the ressource world. 2 hours of mining there can easily lead to 200 diamonds in your pocket which just buys you en elytra (not considering the fact that you can buy elytra for 162 diamonds at market).

Oh and when people refer to the times when elytra was basically just 40k or something i think diamonds have never been 1k back then. I think even today they are officially just 0.25k even tho everyone is buying and selling them for 1k today.

Cheers
-Daph
Posh_D
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: Posh_D

I agree with the positive factors of rhines, and have no intention to get them removed, like I've always said.
Yeah the 200 diamond to elytra is fair, but the problem is the server doesn't buy diamonds anymore. Even the players who used to buy them have stopped. There's enough people who sell diamonds though.
Also I just saw the shop selling elytra for 18DB, which settles this problem I think, but only if it'll be consistently stocked like an admin shop.
Popping Up At The Top!
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: The_One_Soldier

Rhines mostly aren't as useful compared to diamonds because obtaining any significant quantity of rhines isn't possible for most players, while diamonds have inherent value and can be obtained much more easily through mining the resource world. As stated before, anything that can be sold to the server is sold for a mostly worthless amount of rhines. The two realistic options for obtaining elytra are mining diamonds and exploring the end, rhines don't help with either options.

Market isn't a reliable way to make money as too many shops are completely out of stock or broken and there are exactly 16 working signs that allow you to sell items of any kind (4 of which were diamond exchange signs. If most players can't make a decent amount rhines, what point is there for rhines to exist over diamonds, precise market signs don't do anything if no one can afford them. The extremely low active playerbase this year also results in very low market revenue.

Wealth transparency isn't very useful as many rich players simply have stacks of diamond blocks from last map and don't appear anywhere near the top of /baltop

Not entirely discounting the usefulness of rhines, what is the point of a separate currency if no one can make any rhines? Market doesn't change anything, basically just moves rhines between players and doesn't any create rhines.
:) Ruin
daphlipan
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: daphlipan

TheOneSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:56
The extremely low active playerbase this year also results in very low market revenue.

Wealth transparency isn't very useful as many rich players simply have stacks of diamond blocks from last map and don't appear anywhere near the top of /baltop

Not entirely discounting the usefulness of rhines, what is the point of a separate currency if no one can make any rhines? Market doesn't change anything, basically just moves rhines between players and doesn't any create rhines.
Creating lots of rhines would inflate the servers economy too much. Rhines moving between players is therefore not the worst.
I agree that the list of 16 sellable (to the server) items are a little bit sad. And so is the low active playerbase this year. This is the reason for many things we could complain about. Lets just hope players will be more active at some point in the future.

TheOneSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:56
The two realistic options for obtaining elytra are mining diamonds and exploring the end, rhines don't help with either options.
Well that's two possibilities to get your hands on an elytra, thats 1 more option than in vanilla minecraft (not even counted that you get an elytra every month if you vote regularly).

I just think the entire "obtaining elytra topic" has not really much to do with the "rhines topic".

Cheers
-Daph
Wixler_17
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Wixler_17

Your point that it's one more way than vanilla Minecraft to get elytra doesn't really make sense. Vanilla Minecraft has no borders in the end and elytra flight is allowed. I'm not trying to insult BH that it removes those parts of Vanilla Minecraft, they have an incredibly good reason for it and a fair way to handle the situation. Buying elytra's is meant as an alternative to this handicapped way of acquiring this resource.

To fix the rhine economy, I think that we should add emeralds to the /sell list, 50-100$ a pop.
A crazy suggestion, but one non the less
I went to bed and looked at the stars

and then I thought...

Where is my ceiling?
scifiguy7
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: scifiguy7

Waiting until the reset is too far away.

I think the root problem at this point is that Rhines or Diamonds, it really doesn't matter right now until the established players become generally more active, or at very least the marketplace shops are kept stocked.

The marketplace and economy have been essentially dead for so long now that I think it is discouraging play and is probably responsible for turning new players away quickly. Until new players have a way to establish themselves in a reasonably short time, they are not going to enjoy the server in the way it is meant to be. Unfortunately, there is a large gap between players at the moment too, so that makes it more difficult to find a way to address the difficulty for both ends of the players' styles and skill spectrum of the game.

I'm sure Seniors are not ignoring this problem, but IMO it should be the top priority as it seems to be threatening the growth of the server. (This is only my opinion since I have no real insight into other problems that are being addressed.)
Slaepy
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: SleepyAppa

To me, a lot of people actually do use market, it just might not be seen widely. I personally think that Rhines should become a lot more plentiful, since they get next to no use.