What is the point of Rhines

You can talk about anything here.
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: The_One_Soldier

As of 4/11/21, only 16 items can be sold to the server to my knowledge. They are:

Stone: Worth 0.50 (32R per stack)
Cobblestone: Worth 0.50 (32R per stack)
Andesite: Worth 1.00 (64R per stack)
Diorite: Worth 1.00 (64R per stack)
Granite: Worth 1.00 (32R per stack)
Gravel: Worth 1.00 (32R per stack)
Dirt: Worth 0.25 (16R per stack)
Sandstone: Worth 0.50 (32R per stack)
Netherrack: Worth 0.50 (32R per stack)
Enderpearls: Worth 0.0625 (1R per stack)
Leather: Worth 4.0 (1024R per stack)
Chorus Flowers: Worth 1000R per stack
Endrods: Worth 250R per stack
Wheat: Worth 350R per stack
Cooked cod: Worth 0.125 (8R per stack)
Raw cod: Worth 0.0625 (4R per stack)

At best you need 200 stacks of chorus flowers to afford an elytra, and exactly zero people have farmed that many chorus flowers for an elytra, or any of the other items on this list for the sole purpose buying a single elytra. So what is the point of rhines as a currency besides an attempt at decreasing lag?
:) Ruin
jesse_947
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: photo_star

TheOneSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 01:43
As of 4/11/21, only 16 items can be sold to the server to my knowledge. They are:

At best you need 200 stacks of chorus flowers to afford an elytra, and exactly zero people have farmed that many chorus flowers for an elytra, or any of the other items on this list for the sole purpose buying a single elytra. So what is the point of rhines as a currency besides an attempt at decreasing lag?
agreed, people will use diamonds anyway so rhines have no real propose now. may aswell swich to a diamond economy, just like hermitcraft.
minecraft good, schoool bad
Slaepy
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: SleepyAppa

jesse_947 wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 22:23
TheOneSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2021, 01:43

agreed, people will use diamonds anyway so rhines have no real propose now. may aswell swich to a diamond economy, just like hermitcraft.
^
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner
Minecraft Name: HayanTokki

In about 2 hours of stream where I was casually mining through the nether and then going to the end to repair my pickaxe, even without having mined the whole 2 hours, I made about 1/8 of the rhines needed for an elytra. So this felt rather fair that someone who doesn't really do too much end game would casually put in at most 2 hours for about a week and get an elytra via rhines. We consider elytra an end game item and expect its acquisition to require about as much time as it would take an average player to reach end game.
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit

HayanTokki wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 16:53
In about 2 hours of stream where I was casually mining through the nether and then going to the end to repair my pickaxe, even without having mined the whole 2 hours, I made about 1/8 of the rhines needed for an elytra. So this felt rather fair that someone who doesn't really do too much end game would casually put in at most 2 hours for about a week and get an elytra via rhines. We consider elytra an end game item and expect its acquisition to require about as much time as it would take an average player to reach end game.
Please explain how you mined 50,000 netherrack (with a single pickaxe no less) in less than two hours. If you didn't mine more than roughly 6.94~ netherrack a second for less than two entire hours (needing to repair your pickaxe roughly 6 separate times assuming its netherite with unbreaking 3). If you have the statistics/exact twitch vod that might help explain it.

If you didn't mine that much netherrack, nothing else in the nether is worth any significant amount rhines to the server. Netherite, quartz, and nether gold are worthless selling to the server, and market trades can be done with diamonds anyway.

Regardless, this is by far the fastest method of obtaining rhines, with NOTHING coming even close to this amount of money for a new player (no, new players don't have max beacons)

So, by your calculations, it takes around 16 hours MINIMUM to get a single elytra (assuming max tools and armor). Oh, if you die with it? At least another 16 hours of mining minimum, not accounting for any armor/tools lost.

Most new players simply aren't grinding a minimum of 16 hours in the nether for an elytra. And no, market doesn't solve anything, new players can't make shops and shops that buy items that aren't diamonds are few and far between.
Posh_D
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: Posh_D

Maybe I had missed half of the stream, but I do remember that day, and don't recall going to a 5 figures amount of Rhines just from nethrrack there though.
Since the big reset from 1.12 to 1.13, I've only mined around 550K netherrack, which is enough for 1.38 of an ely. Not that I've spent most of the time for it, but I did mine a lot for my 2 wither skel farms (pre 1.16) and for quite a few stacks of debri after that.
So.... yeah the netherrack mining isn't really gonna be enough for one person to pursue an elytra dream. Specially with the ability for hoglins and piglins to spawn around your mined out area, there's a higher chance of death now, than how it was before with just lava.
Popping Up At The Top!
Wixler_17
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Wixler_17

The idea of rhines is good, and I feel like the inflation period of the server is now over. Maybe lowering the cost of elytra's to 100k, since even though it is an endgame item, it has become a necessity for some, and the game is a whole lot less fun without the ability to experience kinetic energy
I went to bed and looked at the stars

and then I thought...

Where is my ceiling?
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

Since the earliest days of BlockHermit we've had admin shops to buy blocks that players might not have any use for - in seasons 1 & 2 had the Block Repository shop, some may remember - the /sell command was added to encourage players to sell items from mining expeditions or from the EnderBlender rather than leave them lying on the ground and lagging the server.

Rhines also make it easier to use both player and admin shops, and turn otherwise useless items into valuable currency. In season 3 we have (by design) reduced the number of admin shops, so Rhines aren't as obviously useful as they were.
TheOneSoldier
Hermit
Hermit

Cobbett wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 17:56
Since the earliest days of BlockHermit we've had admin shops to buy blocks that players might not have any use for - in seasons 1 & 2 had the Block Repository shop, some may remember - the /sell command was added to encourage players to sell items from mining expeditions or from the EnderBlender rather than leave them lying on the ground and lagging the server.

Rhines also make it easier to use both player and admin shops, and turn otherwise useless items into valuable currency. In season 3 we have (by design) reduced the number of admin shops, so Rhines aren't as obviously useful as they were.
In season two, elytra were either 60k or 80k, with most useful blocks selling for more Rhines in general. Now, elytra are 200k with 2 items selling for 1,000R per stack or more. This season's economy is far more difficult to make substantial amounts of money, as literally no one can obtain enough rhines to buy an elytra through selling to the server. The total server money reflects on that, since more rhines are being used to buy elytra compared to selling to the server.
Rhines aren't very useful mostly because no one can get very many. It is basically impossible to get on /baltop 1 as it stands, regardless of how many items you have.
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

When we removed most of the admin shops (mainly to encourage player shops), the thinking was that prices wouldn't get so inflated because of the huge amounts of money entering the economy because of them, and without so many Rhines artificially generated things wouldn't be so expensive - the price of Elytra was rising sharply over time, I think they were originally 40k. As it turned out, it seems that players were pricing to be competitive against those admin shops and prices rose sharply in season 3. Minecraft economies are a dismal science too, it seems.