Nether roof for 1.16

You can talk about anything here.
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner
Minecraft Name: HayanTokki

At least we are having this conversation. Literally no one brought it up before on the forums. I have always been open to discussion. A lot of the rules we have in place are either after thorough discussion or because no one wants to talk about it so I have to make an extreme last second rule to put a bandaid over a potentially big issue.

While we are here, I'd like to announce that there will be no blockbreaking via explosions after 1.16 to minimize players from being able to monopolize netherite farming. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will want to spam tnt to gain netherite quickly, this will not be possible.

We are also planning on relinquishing the ability to claim in the nether. Whether this will be long term or temporary is yet undecided. Players may want to discuss this.

The seniors and juniors are having our monthly meeting this Sunday. We will be deciding then if we want the roof open or closed. I will be referencing this thread during the discussion.
CptnCrckrs
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: Captn_Flashheart

The tension is serious and also how are you going to prevent that but I understand why you are making this decision.
Stay Back human you don't know what you're dealing with
Anonymous.
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner

CptnCrckrs wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 16:57
The tension is serious and also how are you going to prevent that but I understand why you are making this decision.

Code: Select all

/gamerule tntexplodes false
if we're going vanilla method

Code: Select all

/region flag nether tnt deny
if we're using world guard

There are many ways to disable explosion block breaks.
scifiguy7
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: scifiguy7

I thought I had posted on this, but is seems I didn't hit send.

My thought is that while farms could be a problem on the roof, I think there diffinetely needs to be a nether hub that connects to somewhere like Central, like the resource world.
ACommence
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: ACommence

HayanTokki wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 07:09
While we are here, I'd like to announce that there will be no blockbreaking via explosions after 1.16 to minimize players from being able to monopolize netherite farming. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will want to spam tnt to gain netherite quickly, this will not be possible.
I find this may get a bit controversial,maybe even more than a bit.Netherite is much rarer than diamonds,and the reason tnt is used for it is because it is also spread across many Y levels.

Farming Netherite by pickaxe,as in strip mines or haste 2 beacon canyons will be a massive pain in the neck as lava is also everywhere in the nether and it is commonly known that mining long strips in the nether is much like mining straight down,always has a bad ending.

I would suggest taking this rule into further reconsideration as it may be a tad too strict,it would make netherite even harder to get than it already is using tnt.

I would suggest something like a rule against making massive tnt lines,perhaps just enable bed explosions,to not cause long,laggy explosion chains.

There is an even more efficient way of mining netherite by doing it 3 tnt only at a time,perhaps make it a rule to do it only like that.After all,rules like these that only slightly nerf mechanics are usually quick to abide by much like duping and mining in the overworld,etc. so that players do avoid making the long chains of TNT.

Thank you for your time and patience.
“Peace of mind and a comfortable income are predicted by a dream of eating potatoes in any form.”
-Ned Ballantyne & Stella Coeli
Wixler_17
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Wixler_17

I'm at a neutral stance about the entire no explosions in the nether. It is more efficient to use explosives, although, you can instantly mine Netherrack with the right efficiency on a pick. This would also be beneficial to players, as you can sell netherrack to the server for 0.50$ a block

Also, the server should add magma blocks, basalt and blackstone as things to sell on the server, to reduce lag of items being dropped onto the ground. It should not be sold for higher than 1.17$ a blocks, as that is the selling price of stone currently
I went to bed and looked at the stars

and then I thought...

Where is my ceiling?
systematicpro
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: Systematicpro

Munchkin wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 14:32

I do agree that curing is an easy way of getting villagers but equally, should you for whatever reason decide to go for the locate, capture and transport technique instead, it would be considerably hard to do so without some form of nether rig access.

easy solution

don't do either of those things, and instead cure a villager

just because someone wants to make things much more difficult on themselves than it needs to be doesn't mean rules should be bent to make things easier for them
lieuwe_berg
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: lieuwe_berg

Floki_Raven wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:03
2) No one balks when someone builds a gaurdian farm, which makes a MASSIVE amount of entities
I just want to clarify that if guardian farms have a massive amount of entities, then there's something wrong. All guardian farms should at all times be actively killing any guardian that's in them.

Personally, I don't see a problem with gold farms on the nether roof, if and only if the same principle is applied there (someone isn't using the farm => lamps should light up to prevent spawning).
I do play on the server...
                                                   sometimes.
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner

We are disabling TNT not because of lag but because we would be enabling people who are established to have an unfair advantage over everyone else if we allowed TNT. We cannot monitor players and how much tnt they can place if we allow explosions.
Munchkin
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Munchkinnibbler

systematicpro wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 05:40

just because someone wants to make things much more difficult on themselves than it needs to be doesn't mean rules should be bent to make things easier for them
I just would like to to clarify on that, I was giving an example of how and when a Nether roof could be used, not to use said example as a reason to allow the Nether roof to be accessible.

Regarding the no that, I'm sitting on the fence. While I had already gathered some that in preparation, I do see where you're coming from. Also, that does rather emphasise the point that late-game players have an advantage over others.

Technically, we could have a 'kit' (as with the Birthday region's candle) which provides players with a stack or so of tnt/ explosive that will exclusively work in the Nether. However, I'm not sure if that's possible to organise in a short period of time.

Equally, while this again gives later-game players the advantage, you can set up a beacon in the Nether (after mining out any netherrack / blocks above the beacon first) and mine that way. Even then, netherrack is an insta mine block so you can quickly mine out a large area with no beacon what so ever.

I hope the meeting Today goes / has gone well.
Oh hello, I’m from Britain. Like drinking tea in the kitchen, we love queueing and the weather and being polite, there’s nothing better. :D