Nether roof for 1.16

You can talk about anything here.
ACommence
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: ACommence

Hi all,I wanted to discuss if for whenever 1.16 updates and nether resets,we could have access to the nether roof for portals and farms.

I understand that it is currently prohibited due to players getting stuck but i believe if we make a nether hub-like area up on the roof for our portals when we relocate all the old ones for 1.16,it wouldn't be as easy to get lost.

We could also make use of perhaps a nether center portal from market or central as the heart of the hub,therefore getting lost will be even more difficult if coords for the center of the hub are fixed.

Mostly because the nether itself is a tad too dangerous to travel around and it is pretty destroyed as well,also because farms on the roof would cause less lag and mob clutter than in the nether overworld.

In conclusion: I'm asking to know if perhaps any change would apply to the rule of nether roof being prohibited when 1.16 resets the nether
“Peace of mind and a comfortable income are predicted by a dream of eating potatoes in any form.”
-Ned Ballantyne & Stella Coeli
DerpStar85
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: _drp

i'm pretty sure the roof isn't cut off because of people getting stuck, it's cut off because thse farms cause lag and would be ineffective anyways. most likely, there will be no consideration to allow it after the update.
Don’t be a cookie! You don’t want the cookie monster eating ya!
Munchkin
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Munchkinnibbler

If either of you don't mind, could you possibly both say how roof farms would or wouldn't create lag as both of you have said one or the other but neither have explained the reasoning behind these arguments. It obviously can't be lag reducing and lag producing at the same time so it would be nice to have a full perspective of what you think would cause lag / reduce lag from having nether roof farms.
DerpStar85 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 01:52
would be ineffective anyways
Also, Derp, if you don't mind how exactly would they be inefficient?

Currently, I'm sitting on the fence but am inclined to agree that we have could a nether hub of sorts, say central has a main portal and hub and people may request to make a connection from the hub to their portal or a nearby one. Then, I presume when resetting the nether or the resource world they either delete the files and start again or use a program like MCA Selector. If they were to use a program like the one named above, they could selectively only delete all chunks outside of the main nether hub, thus 'resetting the nether' but maintaining a main nether hub at the same time.

Sorry, it's so wordy but I hope this is helpful.
Many Thanks
Munchkin
Oh hello, I’m from Britain. Like drinking tea in the kitchen, we love queueing and the weather and being polite, there’s nothing better. :D
ACommence
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

DerpStar85 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 01:52
would be ineffective anyways.
Technically,nether roof farms have fairly decent spawn rates as the nether roof is bedrock,considered a non spawnable block.Any mobs that would spawn on nether roof will only spawn in farms as they have suitable blocks for spawns.So basically it means nether roof farms are less lag and possibly have better effectiveness than nether overworld farms

I found this on a reddit post about nether roof.
"Java Edition players do it for the mob algorithm.If you are that high up,mobs underneath wouldn't clog up the mobcap,allowing the farm to tun efficiently"

In my opinion,keeping the portals up on the roof is also safer from ghasts and lava,it's easier to navigate and much simpler to build on.Keeping the nether overworld for mining and resources sounds better to avoid any damage around hubs or portals.
“Peace of mind and a comfortable income are predicted by a dream of eating potatoes in any form.”
Munchkin
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Munchkinnibbler

Just a quick thought, if the nether had to be reset multiple times then I presume after the last reset we’d then be able to make a hub, farms, etc on the roof or in the main nether. But resetting the nether just becomes something repetitive like the resource world then a hub keeping track of all the farms and the hub itself would be tricky to keep intact while still resetting the nether each time it was necessary.

On the other hand, you could have a market-like system to have a main entrance area (the region pole but ofc the portal) and then set plots that people can request to build farms on. That way, again using something like MCASelector, you could control which chunks are deleted and know exactly where farms aware.
Oh hello, I’m from Britain. Like drinking tea in the kitchen, we love queueing and the weather and being polite, there’s nothing better. :D
HayanTokki
Owner
Owner
Minecraft Name: HayanTokki

The part about the nether only spawning in mobs in farms is only partially true. Our server doesn't handle mob cap the way vanilla minecraft does and incorporates current location of all players in the world. You may remember this is why the ender blender was so slow and often times lag causing in the previous map. We had no way of stopping players from entering the end just because someone happened to be at the farm, and likewise, we would not be able to enforce that here. This would mean the farms would not load the way they were designed for and we would indeed still experience lag. We are however talking this over between seniors and juniors and have admittedly been on the fence either way for months.
ACommence
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

Thank you for looking into it!
CptnCrckrs
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: Captn_Flashheart

sorry if i missed something but are we alowed to place portals on the roof
Stay Back human you don't know what you're dealing with
Anonymous.
Tiberaus
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Tiberaus

CptnCrckrs wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 06:10
sorry if i missed something but are we alowed to place portals on the roof
Currently accessing the nether roof is not allowed. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibility of changing that rule.
Stay at home, Save the world.

"Asking for help is never an admission of defeat."
― Unknown

Block Hermit Non-Official DiscordSupport The Server
Kolas
Hermit
Hermit
Minecraft Name: kolas32613

are the world borders of overworld and nether connected? if not maybe we can push out the world border of nether and disable nether portals built outside of the current nether border radius.

For example, say current nether border is at 1000; we push to border to 1200 and make nether portals not work beyond 1000. we can have a resource world portal which takes us to the 1000 mark, maybe have more than 1 such portals.

This way nether resets can be just deleting the chunks outside the 1000 border so resets can happen more often. this also does not delete what people are building in the rest of the nether.
Finding answers to your questions is a part of the Blockhermit experience.