Pistons not retracting despite there being no redstone input

If you've run into a glitch or server error, please let us know here.
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: kmfoley3

I recently built a kelp farm, and its a bit weird of a design due to me having restricted space and wanting to cause less lag. I built and tested it in a single player world and it worked perfectly. However once I built in on the server some of the pistons would stay extended after they had fired-to break the kelp. I was especially confused because the only redstone input is from observers that are watching cactus grow, and the only reason i could come up with for the pistons staying extended is that the cactus grows and then breaks causing 2 redstone inputs at the same time but the cactus grows and breaks at essentially the same time so I was confused. Anyways essentially the pistons would fire and then some wouldn't retract even thought there was no redstone input anywhere in the system. I hope this issue can be resolved. Thank you-kmfoley3
You can’t be your neighborhood friendly hermit if there’s no neighborhood.
hoost
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: hoost

As always, coordinates are needed to look into this.

But are the pistons in claimed land? This is needed in order for them to work.
“Remember! Reality's an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold! Byeeee!” - Anonymous, or is it?
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

I’m not on rn and idk but I can tell the coordinates of the pole and where it is in region, and yes the pistons are in the claim. The region pole is at X:2,200 Z:1,800. If you go towards the island you can see from pole you will see a skyscraper and there is a hole in the ground at entrance to the skyscraper go down it and it is in the room next to the beacon and has a sign over the entrance that says “kelp farm”. Thank you-kmfoley3
Floki_Raven
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: Floki_Raven

I've recently had a similar issue. I had pistons powered by observers. Occasionally they will glitch into a state of unpowered and powered at the same time. At this point they become inoperable.
Floki_Raven

I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone elses blood, and i have no problem with going out the same way.
ConsumerJunk
Old Hermit
Old Hermit
Minecraft Name: ConsumerJunk

Are they bud powered? Does an update next to them make them retract?

Code: Select all

Fun fact, the [code] BBCode tag won't display the HTML code you just 
spent 30 minutes on.
kmfoley3
Old Hermit
Old Hermit

Yea, but why does that matter?
Cobbett
Senior
Senior
Minecraft Name: Cobbett

Mechanisms never work quite the same way on servers as they do in SP, as servers need to be more optimised because of lag. I would suspect that anything that relies on precise timings may sometimes be affected; chunk unloading might also cause problems in some rare circumstances.